Yield: 6 servings
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded if desired, minced
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp curry powder
4 cups vegetable broth
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups green lentils
1 bay leaf
2-4 leaves of Swiss chard, centre ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup green onions, sliced, for garnish
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno, garam masala, and curry powder. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Stir in broth, sweet potato, lentils, and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 25 minutes.
5. Stir in chard and cook for about 5 more minutes, or until lentils and sweet potatoes are cooked.
6. Just before serving, season with salt and pepper, and stir in cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice. Garnish with green onions.