2 cans coconut milk
1 thumb-sized chunk galangal, peeled, cut into thin slices
1 stalk lemongrass, sliced into 1-inch strips
2-3 chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1 Thai chili, thinly sliced
8 oyster mushrooms, torn
1 onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, quartered
6 kaffir lime leaves, torn
salt and pepper
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add one can of coconut milk, galangal, and lemongrass.
2. Just before the coconut milk comes to a boil, add the chicken and the second can of coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium-low, as you don’t want the coconut milk to heat too fast or burn.
3. Add chili and oyster mushrooms and stir. As the coconut milk is so delicate, be sure to stir your spoon in one direction only, otherwise it may start to curdle.
4. Add the onions.
5. As the soup is just about to boil, add the tomatoes and kaffir lime leaves.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook the soup slowly and gently over low heat for about 5 to 10 minutes, making sure it does not come to a full boil, but long enough that the chicken and onions are fully cooked.
8. Remove from heat and finish with lime juice and cilantro before serving. Serve on top of rice.