2 lbs bones
1 onion, quartered
1 leek, quartered
3 carrots, cut into large pieces
3 celery stalks, cut into large pieces
optional: vegetable scraps
4L cold water
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp whole black pepper
3 bay leaves
1 bunch parsley
2 cloves garlic
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Rinse the bones under water. Pat dry and place on prepared baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 60 minutes, until bones are well-browned and fragrant.
3. Drain off the fat and place bones in a large stock pot.
4. Add chopped vegetables and any vegetable scraps.
5. Add cold water and bring to a boil.
6. Add vinegar, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
7. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 8 to 24 hours. Throughout the cooking process, skim off any foam, and add water as needed.
8. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add parsley and garlic.
9. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve.
10. When cool enough, store in glass jars in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer.