1 tbsp toasted sticky rice powder (5 tbsp uncooked sticky rice)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 lb ground pork (or ground chicken or beef)
3 small shallots, thinly sliced
1 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp fish sauce
juice of 1 or 2 limes
3 green onions
1. Heat a frying pan on low heat. Add the uncooked sticky rice (no oil). Stirring continuously, toast the rice until it turns from white to golden yellow, almost to the point where it looks like brown wheat, about 15 minutes. It will be very fragrant and smell almost like popcorn. Remove from heat.
2. Let rice cool slightly. Pour into a blender and pulse until a coarse powder is formed. Set aside.
3. Heat the coconut oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Fry the pork, breaking it into small minced pieces, until fully cooked.
4. Add shallots and cook for one minute. Remove pork from heat.
5. Add one heaping tablespoon of the toasted rice powder into the pork, along with chili flakes, maple syrup, fish sauce, and lime juice.
6. Add the cilantro, mint, and green onion and stir to combine.
7. Garnish with more cilantro and mint, if desired.