2 chicken breasts with skin and backbone, halved crosswise
4 chicken thighs
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, quartered
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 bay leaf
3 tbsp capers
1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
1. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour to lightly coat.
2. In a large heavy saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and saute just until brown, about 5 minutes per side. This can be done in batches if all the chicken does not fit in the pan. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
3. In the same pan, add the onion and garlic. Saute over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the sweet potato, mushrooms, and red pepper. Saute for another 3 minutes.
5. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, spices, and capers. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and bring the sauce to a simmer. Simmering over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 30 minutes.
7. Garnish with fresh basil before serving.