3 tbsp hoisin sauce
3 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp canola oil
ground meat - eg turkey, beef, chicken (optional)
1 12-14oz package extra firm tofu
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 knob freshly grated ginger
1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1 can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
4 green onions, finely sliced, divided
8-12 large inner leaves romaine lettuce (from a romaine heart) or butter lettuce leaves
1. In a small bowl, stir together the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
2. Press the tofu between paper towels to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground meat if using.
4. Crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
5. Add the garlic, ginger, and mushrooms. Continue cooking about 3 minutes more.
6. Stir in the water chestnuts, carrot, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
7. Pour the sauce over the top of the tofu mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, about 1 minute.
8. Spoon the tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves and top with remaining green onions.