2 tbsp olive oil
2 slices thick-cut smoked bacon, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 small leek, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 carrot, small dice
2 celery stalks, small dice
1 large potato, diced
1 zucchini, small dice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 can diced tomatoes
1L vegetable stock
1/2 cup small pasta
1 can cannellini beans
1 large seasonal greens, such as savoy cabbage, kale, chard, roughly chopped
½ a bunch of fresh basil, sliced thinly
parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the bacon and fry gently for 2 minutes, or until golden.
2. Add the onion, leek, garlic, carrot, and celery. Cook slowly for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
3. Add the potato, zucchini, oregano, bay leaf, tomatoes, and vegetable stock. Cover and bring everything slowly to the boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the pasta and cook for another 6 minutes, until pasta is almost done.
5. When potatoes and pasta are both cooked through, add beans and greens. Cook for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. To serve, add basil and grated parmesan cheese.