1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 leek, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
6 cups vegetable broth
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup diced butternut squash
2 kale leaves, ribs removed, finely chopped
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften.
2. Add the carrots, celery, and leeks. Continue cooking, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
4. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, broth, thyme, and butternut squash. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
5. Add the chopped kale and let cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Add beans, and season with salt and pepper.