2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup red lentils
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion, carrot, and garlic, and sweat with a pinch of salt until onions are translucent, 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, cumin and cayenne. Stir to combine.
4. Add lentils, broth, and water, and bring to a boil.
5. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender and lentils begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes.
6. Remove pot from heat and use an immersion blender to blend soup until it is creamy but not completely puréed.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with a lemon wedge to garnish, if desired.